Being an empath is feeling the emotions of others as if they were your own, this can often be hard to cope with but once an empath has learned to control their gifts, these “traits” then tend not to be as bad as they were. We can then more or less handle the bad aspects including health issues and we use our gifts to help others. I would bet that most of you reading this can relate to quite a of the traits and can remember what it was like before you learned to control them.
- Feeling others emotions as if they were your own
- Overwhelmed in public places
- Watching violence, cruelty or tragedy on the TV is unbearable
- You know when someone is not being honest
- Digestive disorders and lower back problems
- Always looking out for the underdog
- Others will want to offload their problems on you, even strangers
- Constant fatigue
- Addictive personality
- Drawn to healing, holistic therapies and all things spiritual
- Love of nature and animals
- Need for solitude
- Gets bored or distracted easily if not stimulated
- Finds it impossible to do things they don’t enjoy
- Strives for the truth
- Always looking for the answers and knowledge
- Likes adventure, freedom and travel
- Dislikes clutter
- Loves to daydream
- Finds routine, rules or control, imprisoning
- Prone to carry weight without necessarily overeating
- Excellent listener
- Intolerance to narcissism
- The ability to feel the days of the week
- Will not choose to buy antiques, vintage or second-hand
- Sense the energy of food
- Can appear moody, shy, aloof, disconnected
Traits of an empath are different than the listed traits of a psychic or medium, there are some similarities, not all empaths are psychic mediums and not all psychic mediums are empaths, although it is quite possible to be both!
The common traits of being a psychic.
- Sensitive to noise, foods, smells or touch.
- Don’t like to be over stimulated. Can be easily overwhelmed (crowds, noise, etc).
- Allergies and upper respiratory problems.
- Not good around electrical equipment. Light bulbs go off around you.
- Don’t like to be in crowds.
- Slow to connect with others, particularly in childhood. You tend to participate in group activities only after getting to know the people, the environment, and the dynamics.
- When you enter a room, you usually check out the feel of the atmosphere and people.
- Refuse to go near a particular person, room, or building, particularly in childhood
- Feel the emotions of others as if these emotions were your own. You have a greater need to resolve emotional conflicts because of this sensitivity towards others’ emotions. It’s more difficult for you to let go of emotions (yours and others).
- Don’t like conflict. Have a strong sense of justice and unfairness. You want to “right” wrongs.
- You seem to read family or friend’s minds. You know what others want before they ask.
- Aware that something is happening to a family member or close friend.
- Seem to know when someone is ill.
- When you are alone in a room, you feel it is full or you have the feeling of spirits being in the room. Feelings of being watched.
- You know the personalities of deceased family members you have never known. As a child, recognise deceased family members in photographs.
- Take on the mannerisms and speech of other people.
- Animals and young children follow you or want to be around you.
- See or feel energy in a room, in your hands, around others, even auras.
- Active dream life with vivid colours, flying dreams, fall out of bed a lot as a child, premonition dreams, aware that you are dreaming.
- Talk with and or feel nature, particularly in childhood.
- Objects move around you, particularly in childhood.
- Had an “imaginary” friend or animal in childhood.
- As a child, fear of the dark.
- Talked about a past life as a child.
- Artistic, creative, imaginative.
- Think outside the box.
- Hear someone calling your name, but no one is there.
- Good sense of direction.
- Experiences of déjà-vu.
- Family members exhibit intuitive or psychic abilities.
So, how do we cope?
Being aware of our empathic gifts is the first step to start protecting our energy field more effectively. It is very liberating to realise that what we are experiencing is not our stuff and that there is nothing wrong with us.
Feelings and triggers, what causes us to become more open energetically, is it the pain and emotions of others, is it anger or someone offending us unjustly, and us then trying to put ourselves in their shoes, just to find some explanation for their behaviour. Often once we pinpoint the problem, we can start working on separating ourselves from energies that cause us to feel overwhelmed.
Being grounded is important and meditation helps maintain focus from thoughts and feelings that are blocking clarity of perception. Being present in the now helps us centre ourselves, and become aware of our feelings. When we are centred, we are less likely to be influenced by the energies of others.
Learn the methods for clearing of your energy field, and maintaining spiritual protection. I personally ask high beings to repair my energy field and to cut all the cords between myself and other people who have connected with me energetically. I also ask to draw back my energy to me, and restore my aura.
We need to take our power back, instead of over identifying with another. It is important to get centred and notice how you feel in the moment.
Overall, stepping back into our power and learning to control our empathy requires determination and practice, but empathy is only a gift when it serves us. It does not help anyone, not us, and not our loved ones, if we are unable to function because we are emotionally overwhelmed.
I often come across different types of empathy that my clients have, sometimes without even being aware of it. It can then be helpful for them to find out that nothing has been wrong with them at all, it is just that they didn’t know their gifts, and consequently had no way of protecting themselves.
We discuss and learn ways of energetic protection. It is, very healing just to know who you are on a deeper level. Once you understand what the issue is, you will usually be able to find your own the solutions, and learn how to better protect yourself and healing will begin.
# magicandglitter # Empaths # Light workers # Indigos # Psychics # Mediums #